VALUE: £20 Million
Duration: 60 weeks
This immense retail and distribution centre involved the design and build of a 250,000 sq ft two storey mill store to house the highly acclaimed local retail giant, Boundary Mill.
The flagship store involved a steel frame, clad in white composite panels with a standing seam (flat roof to the layman!). The roof was constructed from composite micro ribbed cladding.
Boundary Mill Stores, founded in 1983 it is the largest quality mill store of its kind in the UK. This development is the largest retail development in Colne and the store employs over 900 people in Pendle. Other Boundary Mill stores across the country include stores in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Walsall and Grantham with the Colne store now being a blue print for all future stores.
- Beneath the car park a substantial attenuation system was installed which ensures effective drainage of waterfall onto the site and is similar to common Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS)
- All toilets and offices were manufactured and installed to an extremely high standard with all internal doors being manufactured in house by our skilled craftsmen
- The finished building incorporated a central glazed feature atrium and an extensive landscaping scheme
- The contract involved a huge Mechanical & Engineering package included all ventilation, air conditioning, power for the merchandise displays, escalators, lifts, revolving doors and tills
- Close liaison was needed with the Council, neighbouring residents and the Environment Agency
- Extensive ground remediation of the former council tip. The contaminated land was purified and levelled using various methods
- Completion of the successful culvert diversion
- Barnfield worked to extremely tight on timescales due to the client needing to transfer all their stock from the previous store (which Barnfield also built) in time for their busiest period which is Easter
- Barnfield needed to work in conjunction with racking and store companies while specialist commercial kitchen fitters also worked alongside with us
- Due to the sheer size of the building, it became a complex job in relation to fire safety and strategy